Saturday, April 24, 2021

SANDEEP MARWAH STORY CGAPTER ONE

His tryst with destiny began as a teenager. He dared to envision a dream venture where he would stand distinct and be counted among the very few entrepreneurs in India. To acquire the requisite exposure, he dived into his father's business arena and sat relentlessly as a keen observer, without a complaint. Space constraints in the office did not deter him from his pursuit of knowledge. He sat bewitched and observed his father's infectious smile and kind-hearted behavior as each visitor bid adieu with a signature token gift. He imbibed his father's meticulous plans and realized that patience was a virtue. He wore many hats and even became a chauffeur and drove his father around whenever he had a rendezvous with people outside the purview of the precincts of his office. He would wait in anticipation for his return in the heat outside. 

The return journey would be a tete-a-tete about the details of the conversation and its subsequent outcome. Nothing could stop this yuppie, Sandeep Marwah who was hell-bent that he learned the tricks of the trade. Armed with some real-life experience, he decided to take the plunge. " I realized that the need of the hour was to create my own space. So, I joined the sales team at the very first opportunity that I got, as it forms the base for administration and business. I bifurcated my time between the sale of food products and the music shop. I learned my Dad's business module and adapted his good traits such as patience, punctuality, and perseverance." 

His hard work and determination were duly noticed by his Dad, uncle, and senior staff who appreciated his strong support system and swift learning capacity.'' Alongside this, he wanted to get the first-hand experience in sales and began to sell electronic items and records at their music shop. It was an eye-opener that business was a tough job and that it was not easy to sell products. "Face to face interaction with the customer taught me that my behavior and attitude were very important besides contacts. I had to clear their doubts, anxieties, hassles, objections, and criticisms but accept that it was a thankless job. It was a humiliation that led to a sort of jubilation. At the age of 20, I had to listen to criticism that the records were old and why there were no discounts. This exposure taught me to be calm and resilient, and not charge extra money for the extra facilities provided.'' 

A true journey that created an indelible impact on his thought process was the story of his Dad's life. His tough stance was discernible in his attitude towards adversities when he picked up his bags and walked away, without any regrets. He was the perfect fit for the proverb `When the going gets tough, the tough get going'. "My Dad came to India as a refugee from Pakistan with just Rs 200 in his pocket. He had to leave his wealth and properties behind but did not lose hope. His sheer grit and determination made him fight against all odds valiantly and start life afresh. 

He began his enterprise with electronics and foodstuffs. It was quite difficult to sell those days, but he worked hard for days and weeks on end, with no holidays. My respect for him grows manifold when I think of how much he had sacrificed to give us the best of comforts and education. He functioned within the liabilities and constraints of time, labor, resources, and communication.'' Sooner than later he decided to continue his education alongside his business interest. "I began to do my post-graduation in Commerce. I learned the intricacies of business for five years and found that it is a 24-hour job which occupies your thoughts be it at work or home, as it is your sole responsibility. Theories of business imparted through textbooks are completely different from practical realities which get tougher day by day. 

A businessman is akin to a social worker with limited constraints and takes a huge risk with money. Life is a huge botheration which leads to immense tension. One is mentally and physically exhausted, as people's perception of a businessman is that of a `chor' .'' At the threshold of his career, he remembers fondly that he had three career options, either to join the government service or become a professional or an entrepreneur. "I was smitten by the last career option as only 3% of our population were entrepreneurs. Work motivated me and I wanted to become part of that minuscule group. 

I realized that I would be a non-entity in service or as a professional whereas I would be unique, as an entrepreneur and opted for it.'' After consistent exposure for five years in the business circle, he decided that he wanted the much-needed break from the monotony and pursue his passion, theatre, and cinema. His father told him that it was ok if it was a hobby but not as a full-time profession as the future was bleak in theatre. "I was smitten by the theatre so much but paid heed to his advice to take it as a hobby, to hone my skills. I improved my diction, articulation, pronunciation, and presentation, which enhanced my personality, and make me brimmed with confidence. I featured in many plays which provided sheer entertainment on Doordarshan and were counted as a popular actor on Delhi stage to be paid the highest remuneration." 

During those days, his contemporaries and friends included the likes of Raj Babbar, Anupam Kher, Pankaj Kapoor, Neena Gupta, Satish Kaushik who were directed by their senior, Nadira Babbar. All of them were the National School of Drama products, except for him. "I used to work till 6 p.m. and get involved in theatrics. Then, I moved to Mumbai to try a hand at the cinema, as I was crazy about it. Luckily, I was offered three films with the lead heroines of that time, by a producer and we had even begun shooting too. But he died all of a sudden and left a vacuum. The movies were shelved and the projects were canceled. My future was bleak and I returned to Delhi. " 

Being adventurous he wanted a change in the stance and desired to try his luck in real estate. "Property was booming at that time and was selling like hotcakes. With the requisite aptitude, I got into the sale and purchase of properties and made good money. But soon, I perceived that I could not become a hardcore real estate agent and be smart, shrewd, and cunning. I felt that I would be a misfit there as my interest always lay in art and culture, since my school-days. Arts, culture, and craft hone your skills to become self-reliant. 

I was enchanted with carpets and its manufacture which made me research at the main manufacturing units in Kashmir, Agra, Latur, Varanasi, Mirzapur, Amritsar. I learned new opportunities without boundaries with the available resources. I observed people lead a systematic life which made me specialize in carpets within three months and opened a new outlet in Khan market. His impeccable talent in art and culture made him explore new avenues in the creation and he recreated carpet designs on desi dhurries. With the help of one of his friends in Mirzapur, he got Marwah dhurries made from his manufacturing units. "A rich exporter copied my designs and launched his own line `Shyam Ahuja Dhurries' which was splashed in popular magazines in Indian and abroad and got exported. This was the time when I realized how a brand name could make all the difference in the market. I was no competitor to him and restrained my sales to my closer circle of buyers. But my association with real estate and dhurries gave me great opportunities to fly overseas.

The export business gave me a chance to go to Europe and other countries once or twice a year which pinched my pocket and left me with no savings." Gratitude was part of his personality and he always thanked and attributed his success in business to his education, training, and good deeds. He retained his honesty and seriousness from those days in the academic circle to the work station. "My commitment helped me finish my work within the constraints of time. I have no qualms to admit that I could not continue with my passion be it theatre or cinema, but I have learned to adapt myself with the best alternatives available. 

I became very optimistic and decided to participate, which is pertinent to life. If one is smart and ready to take up new challenges, then one can make the right decisions at the crossroads and reach one's destination. This is how one grows in life. I can proclaim with humility that probably I have developed a good rapport with many Delhites that they count me in to extend pertinent invitations. I realize the magnitude of that one invitation when I am chosen to be one among the 300 guests to attend the marriage function when they are in the know-how of more than 10, 000 Delhites. When your name figures in that shortlist, it shows that they value your presence.

 Participation in such events is required to make that bond stronger. And my attendance at that event gets the much-deserved respect as I acceded to their expectations."